Field Technicians (Remote)
Bat Conservation International (BCI), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to the protection of bats and their habitats in America and around the world, seeks approximately 5 seasonal Field Technicians to join our research team from approximately May 15 through October 2021. This is a great opportunity for those interested in gaining hands-on experience scientific research experience.
The technicians will be responsible for conducting bat and bird fatality searches beneath wind turbines. Other responsibilities are listed below.
- Conduct standardized searches for bat and bird carcasses beneath wind turbines
- Quantify habitat characteristics
- Enter and manage datasets
- There will also be opportunities to gain experience deploying and analyzing data collected with ultrasonic detectors and thermal cameras, including 3-D thermal videography
The salary for this position is $12/hour plus housing, utilities, internet, and vehicles provided. The technicians must possess a valid Driver’s License. This position will be located at a wind energy facility in southwest Iowa.
- A Bachelor’s degree in biology, ecology, wildlife management or a related discipline is preferred
- Applicants must be willing and capable of conducting field work in moderately rugged terrain under physically demanding conditions (e.g., hot temperatures, venomous snakes, biting insects, etc.)
- Applicants must be willing to work atypical hours and live and work well with a diverse research team
- Applicants must possess a valid Driver’s License
- An ideal candidate should have interest in science and research, previous field work experience, and experience identifying bats and birds
Individuals interested in this position should send their resume, cover letter, and three references no later than February 28, 2021. Interviews will begin in March with an anticipated May 15, 2021 start date. A Covid-19 Mitigation Plan will be developed for this project to reduce risk to field crew. Bat Conservation International is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community.